Sanhe Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and Sun Yat-sen Park

( chinadaily.com.cn )

Updated: 2011-04-07

Sanhe Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and Sun Yat-sen Park

Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and Sun Yat-sen Park of Sanhe lies on the west shore of the confluence of the three rivers of Mei Jiang, Ting Jiang and Mei Tan He in the ancient town. During the revolution of 1911 (the Chinese bourgeois democratic revolution led by Dr. Sun Yat-sen), the Qing government was overthrown and the Republic of China was founded. However, the political power was later seized by the ambitious Yuan Shikai. Following that, warlords across the country began to take possessions of lands and rule on their own. The whole country was split up and people across the country were suffering from constant wars and foreign aggressions. In order to save the nation, Dr. Sun Yat-sen strived to unite all the armies in Guangdong, Guangxi and Yunnan and to overthrow the warlords and unify the country. In the spring of 1918, Chen Jiongming, the commander in chief of the Guangdong Army, had his soldiers stationed in Chayang and Sanhe in Dabu county. They made the Sanhe Catholic Church as their headquarters. In May 1918, Dr. Sun Yet-sun made a special trip from Chaoshan taking the "Xie He" steamer to Sanhe to negotiate with Chen on a joint action plan for the armies of the three regions. In 1929, Xu Tongxiong, a party member of the Chinese Revolutionary Party, a member of the Chinese United League, the president of the Singapore Thong Tek Che Poh Soh, and the director of the Singapore branch of Chinese Kuomintang, proposed and raised money to build "Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall" and "Sun Yat-sen Park". This was built in Weng Wan Da Shi Fang to pay tribute to Dr. Sun Yet-sen. This Memorial Hall was the earliest Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall established in China.

Sun Yat-sen Park

Sun Yat-sen Park covers an area of more than 11,000 square meters. The four Chinese characters of "Zhong Shan Gong Yuan" were inscribed on the stone archway on the top of the park's gate by senior Kuomintang member, Hu Hanmin. The park has a pleasing environment and is full of bamboo, trees and various flowers. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall is located in the center of the park and the lotus pond and the stele pavilion are in the right side of the park. The stele is about 3.5 meters high. The text on the stele was written by Fan Qi, a native of Dabu and the former president of the Literal Arts School of Sun Yat-sen University, and was engraved by calligrapher, Chen Litang in Li Shu. The inscription records the ups and downs of the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and tells the whole story of the Sun Yat-sun Park. The inscriptions on the boulder in the park contain poems and words of poets from different dynasties who spoke highly of the landscape of San He.

Sun Yat-san Memorial Hall

Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall consists of two floors and is built with cement. The building covers an area of more than 500 square meters. The Chinese characters "Zhang Shan Ji Nian Tang" was also written on the top of the building by Hu Hanmin. In front of the memorial hall there are two stone ornamental columns and the bronze statute of Sun Yat-sen. In the central hall of the first floor there are some boards. One of them was inscribed by Chiang Kai-shek, who wrote "Respect and Admire the Founding Father" and another one, "Be a Gentleman, Be a Teacher" was inscribed by Lin Seishu. The two characters of "Bo Ai (Fraternity)" were inscribed on the portrait of Sun Yat-sen and they are said to be the authentic handwritings of Sun Yat-sen.