Cheong Fatt Tze’s Former Residence

( chinadaily.com.cn )

Updated: 2011-04-07

Cheong Fatt Tze (a native of Longcun Village, Dabu County) was a business magnate in the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) and the early period of the Republic of China. He was also a famous patriotic overseas Chinese leader and one of the eight sages among the Hakka people. His national spirit of hardworking, entrepreneurship, rejuvenating the country by industry, and his patriotic attitude that “a Chinese should render services to the Chinese people” are highly praised.

Cheong Fatt Tze’s Former Residence

Cheong Fatt Tze’s Former Residence - “Guang Lu Di” was built in the 34th year of Emperor Guangxu’s reign (1908) in the Qing Dynasty. The building as a whole faces west and adopts an earth-wood structure. It is a type of Hakka round house with 18 halls, 13 courtyards, 99 rooms as well as front and back gardens and studies. At the main entrance, Li Hongzhang wrote the house name “Guang Lu Di”.

Cheong Fatt Tze’s Former Residence

Today, the first floor is a Chang Yu wine culture exhibition hall, displaying the objects used in the brewing of Chang Yu Wines over the past 100 years. The rooms on the second floor display typical artifacts of the Hakka people, such as the tools and furniture used in ancient times.

Tianyi Pavilion is located in Yuanshang Garden to the right of “Guang Lu Di”. In the pavilion, the production tools used by the ancestors of the Hakka people are placed.

An orchard can be found near the back wall of Yuanshang Garden. The orchard has nearly 100 kinds of famous high-grade fruit trees, including ten litchi trees, which are more than a century old. It is said that they were personally planted by Cheong Fatt Tze after the construction of “Guang Lu Di” was completed.