Former power official to be brought to court
Zhao Shuangju, former director of the Beijing Power Supply Bureau, who allegedly caused a huge State funds loss, is expected to be brought up on public charges within two months, according to a local procuratorate.
An investigation has now been completed following Zhao's September 15 arrest for suspected dereliction of duty, according to sources with the No 1 Branch of the Beijing Municipal People's Procuratorate.
But the procuratorate branch refused to reveal further details on the case.
Zhao, 64, is suspected of illegally providing guarantees to the Beijing-based Weikerui Wire and Cable Company of 1.12 billion yuan (US$134 million) from 1994 to 1996 on the bureau's behalf when he was director.
The guaranteed company later faced bankruptcy and a local court required the State-owned Beijing Electric Power Corporation to shoulder part of the compensation responsibilities -- that is 457 million yuan (US$55 million).
The corporation is the successor of the bureau after a restructuring carried out earlier this year.
Besides, Zhao was found misusing a special electricity supply fund of 64 million yuan (US$8 million) in the Weikerui Company from 1993 to 1997. The investment is not able to be recovered.
Zhao had served as the bureau's director for 13 years until 1999. His suspected malfeasance was first disclosed to the public after an audit by Auditor-General Li Jinhua this June.
Li's report revealed clues related to two dozen alleged corruption cases, among which, Zhao's is the first one to be brought to court.
Sources with the procuratorate branch said cases related to misconduct in office should be brought to court by grass-roots procuratorial organs, and the branch has transferred all the documents about Zhao's case to the People's Procuratorate of Xicheng District.
The district procuratorate said it would institute a prosecution within two months, according to the law after examining the documents.