Home>News Center>Photo Gallery>China

140 students poisoned in Changchun
Updated: 2004-05-19 16:12

A student is under medical treatment for food poisoning after taking fried rice and eggs in Changchun University, Northeast China's Jilin Province, May 19, 2004. As many as 144 students were reported to suffer nausea, sickness, fever and even coma after taking the breakfast in the school dining hall. Doctors blamed nitrite for the poisoning and all the poisoned students are now in safe condition after receiving gastric lavage and oxygen inhalation in two hospitals. [Xinhua]

All the poisoned students, from the vocational school attached to Changchun University, were reported to suffer nausea, sickness, fever and even coma. Doctors blamed nitrite for the poisoning. The dining hall has been closed by the local police, and investigation is still underway. [Xinhua]

Doctors said none of the poisoned student was in critical condition. [Xinhua]

The university has urged all the students who ate the same food to have a medical examination. [Xinhua]