Home>News Center>China

Chemical leak-caused fire put out
Updated: 2004-04-22 21:09

A fire caused by a chemical leak in east China's Zhejiang province early Thursday morning was extinguished around 4"Chemical leakage caused the at 8:00 a.m. at a workshop in a building of the Shangao Chemical Company in the city of Ningbo. Witnesses said windows of nearby houses were shattered to pieces by the fierce explosion.

The body of Pan Guangming, 49, was discovered by firemen. Pan was believed to be suffocated to death by toxic, dense smoke despite his attempt to escape the building caught by fire.

The man victim injured in the accident, Ji Chenjian, has been hospitalized. He recalled that he had jumped down from the second storey of the building and, except for some burns on his body, he suffered no more severe injuries.

All those in workshops and kids of nearly kindergartens and schools had been evacuated by local police immediately after the accident.

Local fire brigade equipped with 22 fire engines soon reached the workshops, and the fire was brought basically under control by 11 a.m..

  Today's Top News     Top China News

Bush vows to sticks to one-China policy



Suspected SARS case found in Beijing



US urged to stop Taiwan arms sales



Alleged collegiate killer goes on trial



Milk found bad in dead infant case



NPC official solicits HK's views on report


  Seven fatal chemical leak cases in 6 days
  China, US reach deals on a variety of trade issues
  Free AIDS drugs trigger strong side effects
  Fake milk powder wholesale dealers detained
  Kelly: Take Beijing's resolve seriously
  Tranquilizers fed to baby girl by nurse
  Go to Another Section  
  Story Tools  
  News Talk  
  An American apolgy to the family of Chinese pilot