Two more bodies recovered from massive China landslide
CHONGQING -- The death toll from a massive landslide in southwest China's Chongqing Municipality last week has risen to nine after rescuers recovered two more bodies Monday.
Firemen search for survivors at the site where a landslide occured earlier in the Jiwei Mountain area, in Tiekuang Township, about 170 kilometers southeast of the downtown area, southwest China's Chongqing Municipality, June 5, 2009. [Xinhua]
Despite drizzle and thick fog, hundreds of technicians and rescuers continued their search Monday with drilling machines and excavators for the other 63 people missing after the landslide at around 3 p.m. Friday.
The death toll was six men and three women, and eight people were injured, rescuers said.
The local government has relocated 85 people whose homes were threatened by a barrier lake formed by the landslide.
The landslide buried two entrances of the Jiwei Mountain mine, an iron ore plant, and 12 houses in Tiekuang Township, Wulong County, about 170 kilometers southeast of central Chongqing.
Eight people -- three of them seriously injured -- were rescued late Friday.
Rescuers carried out a second explosion at 11 a.m. Sunday to enable the drilling of holes to send food and air to 27 trapped miners who could still be alive after the massive landslide.
The 27 miners are about 150 to 200 meters below ground. The air and a small amount of water in the mine could support them for five to seven days. Water is believed to exist in the shafts as Jiwei Mountain is mainly comprised limestone.
A large helicopter would also join the rescue work to help carry in equipment and personnel. It was scheduled to arrive at the landslide site early on Monday but was delayed by bad weather.
"We believe all the missing people are still alive, so we will spare no efforts to search for them," Chongqing Mayor Wang Hongju said.