Chemical fire poisons four in quake-hit town

Updated: 2008-05-30 06:45

Chengdu -- Gas from a chemical fire in southwest China's quake-hit Sichuan Province poisoned four people and forced more than 800 to evacuate on Thursday, a local official confirmed.

The fire occurred around 8 a.m. in Leigu Town when bleach powder in a house self-ignited when it reacted with leaked rainwater, said Song Ming, Communist Party secretary for Beichuan County.

More than 800 people around the house were evacuated as dense chlorine gas poisoned two rescue soldiers and two medical workers at the site.

They were rushed to a military field hospital and were out of danger by noon. The bleach powder, used as a disinfectant, was removed after the accident.

Top China News  
Today's Top News  
Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours