The government allocated a further 95 million yuan ($12.5 million) yesterday
to fund disaster-relief work in flood-hit Anhui, Henan, Hubei, Sichuan and
Shaanxi provinces, a spokesman for the Ministry of Civil Affairs said.
The government had already earmarked 232 million yuan on Wednesday for these
The people in flood-stricken areas have been properly relocated, according to
President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao have issued instructions saying
saving people's lives should be the priority in all flood-response work.
The government also sent several working teams to flood-stricken areas to
guide disaster relief work. One of the teams, headed by Civil Affairs Minister
Li Xueju, arrived in Anhui on Wednesday.
Torrential rain began lashing the Huaihe River valley, the eastern area of
Sichuan Province and the southern area of Shaanxi Province on June 28.
Anhui Province yesterday diverted river water into its seventh buffer zone,
Yaojiawan, to ensure the safety of the millions of people living downstream.
The flood is expected to enter Jiangsu Province in another two days, the
State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters said.
And 42 people have died and 25 are missing in floods in Southwest China's
Sichuan Province, Governor Jiang Jufeng said yesterday.
Twelve million people in 55 counties have been affected by rainstorms and
floods, which caused losses estimated at 3.6 billion yuan, said Jiang.
Rainstorms began to hit Sichuan on July 2, and 43 counties had recorded
precipitation of more than 100 mm by Wednesday. Four counties received more than
400 mm, the governor said.
Rainstorms caused floods in many areas. In Tongjiang County the flooding was
the worst in 80 years.
Rainstorms also triggered 1,690 landslides and mud-rock flows.
More than 150,000 people in Qujiang, seat of Quxian county, escaped early
morning floods on Saturday thanks to timely warnings delivered by mobile-phone
text messages, loudspeakers and door-to-door visits.
The flood hit Qujiang at 3 am, submerging two thirds of the town's streets
and inundating the ground floors of many homes, but no casualties were reported.
The Sichuan provincial government has earmarked 10 million yuan to help
residents of Bazhong, which was also badly affected.
More than 66.3 million people have been affected by floods this summer,
according to latest figures from the Civil Affairs Ministry.
(China Daily 07/13/2007 page3)