HANGZHOU -- Five people have died after inhaling excessive amounts of carbon
monoxide in a reservoir tunnel in east China's Zhejiang Province, sources with
the local government said Wednesday.
The accident happened around 6:00 p.m. Monday in Wugen Town, Wenling City,
when five people, including three managers of the Kengpan reservoir and two
electricians, were checking pipes in a tunnel.
Local residents had complained about insufficient water supplies and asked
them to replace the pipes with bigger ones, a local resident said.
Their bodies were discovered Tuesday morning by a local resident surnamed
Zhang, who discovered his rice paddy had dried out. "We thought something might
have happened to the reservoir. I went to the tunnel, and found them dead," he
Local police said they died after inhaling carbon monoxide discharged from a
generator in the tunnel.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas, which if inhaled, can cause headache,
nausea, unconsciousness and even death.