56 villagers hospitalized after eating pork

Updated: 2007-05-28 16:12

GUANGZHOU -- Fifty-six people were hospitalized after eating pork at a marketplace in south China's Guangdong Province on Saturday, witnesses and the local government said on Monday.

The victims, all from Yangshutou village in Caotan township of Suixi County, suffered stomachaches and vomiting on Saturday night, said a villager on condition of anonymity.

He said a "temple fair" - similar to a village fete - selling snacks and small commodities was held in the village on Saturday afternoon. Organizers of the event slaughtered a pig, cooked it and rationed out the meat to the villagers.

"Many people fell sick after they ate the pork for dinner that night," the villager said.

He said 12 of the cases were serious and had to receive emergency treatment at the county hospital, while all the others were being treated at the local clinic.

The Central Hospital in Zhanjiang City and the county hospital in Suixi have sent a team of 80 medical workers to help with the rescue work at the village clinic.

Hospital sources said all the patients were in "stable condition" on Monday.

The local health authority suspects the illnesses were caused by mass food poisoning and has launched an investigation.

Top China News  
Today's Top News  
Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours