Trump says US pauses 50% tariffs against Canada for 3 days
WASHINGTON/OTTAWA - US President Donald Trump said late Tuesday that the 50 percent tariffs on some Canadian goods scheduled to take effect Wednesday were paused for three days.
Canada and the United States had reached a deal, subject to the finalization of documents, Trump said in a post on Truth Social.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney later said in a statement that substantial progress has been made, "although there is important work still to be done."
Carney said the two sides had intensive discussions over the past several weeks, adding that work will continue to "deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers, and families."
Earlier, a brief statement issued by the Canadian Prime Minister's Office confirmed that the two leaders made a phone call on Tuesday evening and discussed "ongoing negotiations" aimed at averting US tariffs on about 20 billion US dollars' worth of Canadian goods, according to local media.
Dominic LeBlanc, Canada's minister responsible for Canada-US trade, also held follow-up talks with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick in a bid to narrow the differences between the two sides, according to local media.
Carney previously described the last-minute tariff negotiations with the US as intense and delicate.
Trump signed proclamations on July 20, imposing an additional 50 percent tariff on certain Canadian goods, accusing Canada of discriminating against US commerce.



























