Global EditionASIA 中文双语Français
World
Home / World / Middle East

Israel intercepts Gaza-bound flotilla, detains over 400

Updated: 2026-05-21 09:31
Share
Share - WeChat
Palestinian children prepare to fly kites inscribed with their hopes and dreams in Khan Younis, southern Gaza, on Tuesday, during an event titled "My Sky, My Kite" organized by a local charity. ABED RAHIM KHATIB/GETTY IMAGES

JERUSALEM — Israel said on Tuesday it had intercepted all boats in a Gaza-bound aid flotilla, detaining hundreds of activists and transporting them to Israel.

Organizers of the Global Sumud Flotilla said all boats in their humanitarian convoy were intercepted after Israeli naval vessels surrounded them in international waters, about 250 nautical miles from the coast of Gaza.

Israel began intercepting the ships on Monday morning.

Around midnight on Tuesday, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said all 430 activists "have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel", adding that they would be allowed to meet their consular representatives.

Video from the flotilla's livestream showed Israeli soldiers firing shots at two of the boats. The type of ammunition fired was not clear.

"At no point was live ammunition fired," the Israeli Foreign Ministry said. "Following multiple warnings, nonlethal means were employed toward the vessels — not toward protesters — as a warning."

The ministry said Israel would not allow any breach of what it called the "lawful" naval blockade of Gaza. It described the flotilla as "a PR stunt at the service of Hamas".

Israeli rights group Adalah said on Wednesday that the activists had been "detained at Ashdod port" and "taken into Israel against their will as Adalah attorneys enter for legal consultations".

The flotilla's organizers said the activists would be taken to Ketziot prison in Israel's southern Negev desert.

On Wednesday, Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir posted a video on X showing detained activists kneeling with their hands tied behind their backs and foreheads on the ground. The post was captioned "Welcome to Israel".

Italy's Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni slammed the treatment of activists as "unacceptable".

"It is intolerable that these protesters, among whom there are many Italian citizens, are subjected to this treatment, which violates human dignity," Meloni said, calling for the immediate release of any detained Italian citizens and demanding an apology from Israel.

The flotilla set sail from Turkiye's Marmaris coast on May 14 in a third attempt to break the blockade and deliver aid to Palestinians in the war-devastated enclave.

Turkiye and Spain have condemned the interception.

A previous flotilla, comprising about 20 boats and 175 activists, was intercepted by Israeli forces on April 30 near the southern Greek island of Crete.

Two of the activists were detained for days before being released. Dozens of activists said they were mistreated, abused and beaten by Israeli forces.

Xinhua - Agencies

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1994 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US