'Healthy' Sinner gets US Open defense off to a winning start

NEW YORK — Jannik Sinner allayed recent health concerns as he launched the defense of his US Open title Tuesday with a 6-1, 6-1, 6-2 win over Czech world No 89 Vit Kopriva.
Top-ranked Sinner needed just an hour and 38 minutes to dispatch the 28-year-old Kopriva, who was appearing in the main draw at Flushing Meadows for the first time.
Sinner's preparations for the tournament suffered a setback last week when illness forced him to retire against Carlos Alcaraz in the first set of the Cincinnati Open final.
But, in a dispiriting blow to his rivals, the 24-year-old appeared to be fully recovered as he dismantled Kopriva in a clinical display featuring seven breaks of his opponent's serve.
"I feel in a good shape physically. There has been some good practice days, especially last couple," said Sinner, adding: "I'm very happy that I'm healthy again."
"We did our best to be in the best possible shape here. I'm very happy about today's performance."
The Italian is trying to become the first man to repeat as US Open champion since Roger Federer won five in a row from 2004-08.
It is the longest run without a successful men's title defense of any Grand Slam tournament in the Open era.
"It feels great to be back here. Obviously, it's a very special tournament," said Sinner, who has won his last 22 matches on hard courts at Grand Slams.
"I have amazing memories (from last year). Every year is different. You come here starting this tournament, hopefully in the best possible way, which I did."
Sinner next plays Alexei Popyrin for a place in the third round. Popyrin condemned Novak Djokovic to his earliest Grand Slam exit since 2017 last year in New York.
Sinner has won two of this season's three Grand Slams, the Australian Open and Wimbledon, while also reaching the final of the French Open, where he held three championship points before losing to Alcaraz in a fifth-set tiebreak.
After starting his US Open campaign in convincing fashion, Sinner was in no mood to hang about, as he plans another deep run in New York.
"I did learn that I just come to work and then get out of here, you know, because it can be very long at times," he said.
Anisimova through
Amanda Anisimova made a confident start to her US Open campaign, earning a 6-3, 6-2 first-round win over Australia's Kimberly Birrell on Tuesday.
The American eighth seed is chasing another shot at Grand Slam glory, building on a strong season that included her maiden WTA 1000 title in Doha and a run to the Wimbledon final, where she suffered a crushing 6-0, 6-0 defeat to Iga Swiatek.
"It's not easy playing in the first round of a Grand Slam, I never played against her, so it was tricky," Anisimova said.
"It's been a special year, I'm just enjoying the journey. I try to have fun every day, but these are the moments I enjoy the most.
"I lost in the first round last year, so I'm really happy to have done better than that."
Anisimova said she was embracing the present moment in New York, refusing to dwell on the painful defeat she suffered in her first Grand Slam final at Wimbledon.
The world No 9 said she was channelling her current form and top-10 ranking into confidence rather than added pressure.
"If anything, I just embrace where I am and where my ranking is at when I step onto the court, and just try and use it to my advantage," she told reporters.
Agencies


Today's Top News
- Xi says China, Kazakhstan reliable partners for each other
- Xi meets Nepali prime minister
- Xi meets Cambodian prime minister
- Xi meets Egyptian prime minister
- Xi says China always a trustworthy partner of UN
- China calls for closer US dialogue to strengthen economic ties