Coutinho backs new boss
Brazilian attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho said on Monday he thinks new Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez will be a success at the troubled Catalan giant.
Club great Xavi was unveiled as the new coach earlier on Monday, just over 10 days after the firing of Dutchman Ronald Koeman.
"Xavi was a great player, a football icon, and now he is back home at Barcelona. I hope he has a lot of success with the group that we are," said the 29-year-old, who has fallen well short of expectations after joining Barcelona from Liverpool in 2018.
"Given the person he is, he will definitely do very well at Barcelona."
Despite being nothing more than a bit-part player under Koeman since returning to Barca 18 months ago from a season-long loan at Bayern Munich, Coutinho has nonetheless earned himself a recall to the Brazil squad for this month's World Cup qualifiers against Colombia and Argentina.
Coutinho suffered a knee injury last December that ended his season and following two operations he has played little this campaign.
"It's like it was my first time," said Coutinho of his surprise recall to coach Tite's squad after a year out.
"It's always an honor to wear this jersey."
Brazil can book its ticket to Qatar if it beats Colombia on Thursday, and a draw would also be enough should Uruguay lose to Argentina the next day.
AFP
Today's Top News
- Takaichi must stop rubbing salt in wounds, retract Taiwan remarks
- Millions vie for civil service jobs
- Chinese landmark trade corridor handles over 5m TEUs
- China holds first national civil service exam since raising eligibility age cap
- Xi's article on CPC self-reform to be published
- Xi stresses improving long-term mechanisms for cyberspace governance




























