Digest
SOCCER
No smokescreen as Lazio installs Sarri
Lazio hired Maurizio Sarri as its new coach on Wednesday, shortly after the Italian club strongly hinted at the appointment with a series of cryptic posts on social media.
"Lazio announces that Maurizio Sarri is the new coach of the first-team squad," the Serie A club said in a one-line statement on its website.
Italian media reported that the former Juventus coach signed a two-year contract at Lazio, with the option for an additional season.
Earlier Wednesday, Lazio had simply posted an emoji of a cigarette on Twitter and then wrote in Italian "Who has a light?" It then posted a collage of pictures including a bank and a hand holding a cigarette. Sarri, who is a notorious smoker, is a former banker.
The 62-year-old Sarri replaces Simone Inzaghi, who left Lazio last week after five years to take charge of newly crowned Serie A champion Inter Milan following Antonio Conte's departure.
Super League rebels accept $31m UEFA fine
The six English Premier League clubs that tried to join a European Super League have accepted a collective fine of 22 million pounds ($31 million).
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester clubs United and City launched an ill-fated bid to join the breakaway competition in April that would split from the existing Champions League run by UEFA.
The project, also featuring three clubs from both Spain and Italy, collapsed within 48 hours when the English clubs pulled out amid a backlash from their own fans and the government.
The fines were called a "gesture of goodwill" by the Premier League on Wednesday and amount to around 3.6 million pounds per club, with the cash being invested in support for fans, grassroots leagues and community programs.
They have also accepted being deducted 30 points and fined 25 million pounds if they try to join any similar sort of largely closed competition in the future that isn't part of the established structures.
Neymar, Silva included in Brazil's Copa squad
Neymar will spearhead Brazil's attack for the Copa America, with veteran defender Thiago Silva also included despite a recent injury.
Coach Tite announced his 24-man squad Wednesday for the tournament, which is set to start Sunday after being moved to Brazil on short notice when co-hosts Colombia and Argentina pulled out.
Most of the squad is identical to the one used for the latest two rounds of South American World Cup qualifying, with Chelsea defender Thiago Silva returning after missing those games. The centerback was injured during Chelsea's win in the Champions League final against Manchester City.
Neymar has previously said he wants to play at the Tokyo Olympics this summer as well, but it is unlikely he can participate in both tournaments. Neymar's club Paris Saint-Germain does not have to release him for the Olympics because the tournament is not listed on FIFA's international match calendar.
OLYMPICS
Tokyo mulls alcohol ban at athletes' village
The Olympic Village has traditionally been a fun place to be, housing thousands of young athletes and staff ready to party and share a few beers and bubbly toasts.
But not at the Tokyo Olympics, which are set to open in just over six weeks amid a pandemic. These are going to be the "no cheers" Olympics, with testing and vaccinations taking priority over fun and games.
It's not clear if alcohol will be allowed in the village, which will house 11,000 Olympic athletes and 4,400 Paralympians. Organizers say they have yet to decide on a policy, which is expected by the end of the month.
Toshiro Muto, the CEO of the Tokyo organizing committee, said Wednesday it might be difficult to ban alcohol from the athletes' private rooms in the village, but public areas in the village might be a different matter.
"In the case that they were to drink inside their own rooms-this is equivalent to cases where we are drinking in our own home," Muto said on Wednesday after a meeting with the International Olympic Committee executive board.
US teen Gauff 'excited' to compete at Games
Coco Gauff says she "definitely" plans to compete at the Tokyo Olympics after earning a spot on the US team with her run to the French Open quarterfinals.
The 17-year-old said she doesn't have any concerns about going to Japan for next month's pandemic-postponed Games. However, she also acknowledged she hasn't "really thought about it yet".
There are renewed concerns about the coronavirus in Tokyo, with some tennis players expressing reservations about competing. French Open semifinalist Tamara Zidansek said she will not play for Slovenia.
However, speaking after her loss to Barbora Krejcikova at Roland Garros on Wednesday, Gauff said:"I'm definitely planning on playing the Olympics. I'm excited to play."
Xinhua - Agencies
Today's Top News
- 2.83 million people sit China's civil service exam
- Chinese landmark trade corridor handles over 5m TEUs
- China holds first national civil service exam since raising eligibility age cap
- Xi's article on CPC self-reform to be published
- Xi stresses improving long-term mechanisms for cyberspace governance
- Experts share ideas on advancing human rights




























