A red-faced Australian nudist who tried to set fire to what he thought was a
deadly funnel web spider's nest ended up with badly burned buttocks, emergency
officials said Monday.
A funnel-web spider rears up on its hind legs
at the Australian Reptile Park at Gosford in a 2001 file photo. A
red-faced Australian nudist who tried to set fire to what he thought was a
deadly funnel web spider's nest ended up with badly burnt buttocks,
emergency officials said on Monday. [Reuters]
The 56-year-old man was at a nudist colony near Bowral, about 60 miles
southwest of Sydney, Sunday when he spotted what he believed to be a funnel web
Ambulance workers, including a helicopter crew, were called to the scene
after the man poured petrol down the hole and then lit a match in an attempt to
kill the offending arachnid.
"The exploding gasoline fumes left the man with burns to 18 percent of his
body, on the upper leg and buttocks," the NRMA Careflight helicopter rescue
service said in a statement.
It said the man's lack of clothing probably contributed to the extent of his
"The fate of the bunkered spider was unknown, although other guests at the
resort thought it was probably a harmless trapdoor spider and not a deadly
funnel web," the statement said.
NRMA Careflight said it was called to a property in the same area in January
when another man kicked a spider that was crawling up the wall of a friend's
cabin. The man broke his leg in two places, it said.