How can a foreign expert obtain a Chinese driving license?


Updated: 2014-05-20

China’s Law on Road Traffic Safety say that a foreigner must have a Chinese license to drive a vehicle in China. This can be obtained if they are of the right age and in proper health, and have completed the training and examination on road safety and related areas. If a foreigner holds a current driving license from a foreign country they can apply for Chinese license at the local public security bureau’s traffic management, foreign affairs office. Those with foreign driving licenses need to submit the following documents when applying:

1. Driving license application form.

2. Proof of identity and a copy, i.e. a passport, and proof of residence and accommodation from the public security and government, in the form of a residence permit on the passport or accommodation registration at the local police station.

3. A health certificate from a medical institution at the county level or higher, as approved by the Beijing Health Bureau, or from one at the regimental level or higher, as determined by the PLA or People’s Armed Police.

4. If the original foreign driving license is not in Chinese, a Chinese translation and a copy need to be submitted;

5. Four one-inch, standard color photos of the applicant with white background.

What we do

SAFEA is responsible for certifying foreign experts to work in the Chinese mainland and organizing overseas training for Chinese technical and managerial professionals.


All Rights Reserved Sponsored by State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs Powered by China Daily