USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
Home / Top News

8 lost bronze relics return from Japan

By Wang Kaihao | China Daily Global | Updated: 2019-09-11 08:49

Treasures to be displayed at National Museum expo that opens on Sept 17

Eight lost pieces of Chinese bronze ware with a history of over 2,500 years were returned from Japan in August, the National Cultural Heritage Administration announced in a news conference in Beijing on Tuesday.

In early March, the ritual artifacts from the early stages of Spring and Autumn Period (770-476 BC) appeared in an auction catalog in Tokyo. However, the ancient bronzes were believed to have been illegally taken out of China, according to Guan Qiang, deputy director of the administration.

Guan said the administration immediately began investigating and found signs within three days that the pieces had been illegally excavated and smuggled overseas.

"Their new patinas show the bronze items were excavated from underground in a recent period of time," Guan said.

"We also found that this set of bronze ware had once appeared in Shanghai in 2014," he added. "And there is no record of them in any of the 21 import and export administrations of cultural relics nationwide."

Through inscriptions on the artifacts - 330 characters in total - and comparison with similar artifacts discovered by archaeologists, this set of bronzes was shown to come from an earl's tomb corresponding to a Zeng vassal state in today's Hubei province, which lasted for over seven centuries from the early Western Zhou Dynasty (c.11th century-771 BC) through the Spring and Autumn Period to the mid-Warring States Period (475-221 BC).

Diplomatic negotiations and a criminal investigation soon began to seek the return of the eight artifacts. The auction scheduled for March 12 was suspended by the Japanese auctioneer, who said the artifacts were involved in "a dispute over inheritance of family property".

Gong Zhiyong, deputy director of the criminal investigation department under Ministry of Public Security, said a Shanghai resident surnamed Zhou, who was the auction client, emerged as the likely responsible party in the case. He agreed to hand over the artifacts in July, and the Chinese embassy in Tokyo received them on Aug 20.

"Return of the artifacts is on the basis of international law and cooperation with the Japanese," Guan said.

He called the UNESCO Convention on the Means of Prohibiting and Preventing the Illicit Import, Export and Transfer of Ownership of Cultural Property, which was signed in 1970, a "milestone" in setting parameters for such cooperation. China joined the convention in 1989 and Japan in 2002.

An expert panel, including scholars from Peking University, Hubei Provincial Museum and other institutions, studied the artifacts following their return and concluded they "filled a void in historical studies".

The Zeng state, though missing from historical manuscripts, has become known through archaeological excavations since the 1960s. Still, mention of the Zeng earl named Kefu, cited by inscriptions on the returned bronzes, was never found on any items in previous archaeological research.

"It's a crucial complement for academic research on the Zeng state, particularly on its rituals and the family tree," said Deng Chao, deputy director of the National Cultural Heritage Administration's office managing museums and privately-owned cultural relics.

The bronzes, including a ding (cauldron), gui (food container), yan (steamer), ling (wine container), a pair of xu (oval food containers) and a pair of hu (pots), have been listed among the highest, level-one precious cultural relics.

The cultural heritage administration said the returned treasures will be included in an upcoming major exhibition on the achievements of cultural relic repatriation since the founding of New China in 1949.

The exhibition will open at the National Museum of China in Beijing on Sept 17 with a display of over 600 artifacts from around the nation. Some 150,000 Chinese cultural relics have been returned from overseas via 300 cases since 1949, the administration said.

wangkaihao@chinadaily, com.cn

8 lost bronze relics return from Japan

(China Daily Global 09/11/2019 page3)

Today's Top News

Editor's picks

Most Viewed

BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US