Formula One Belgian 2006 grand prix cancelled
Updated: 2006-02-09 09:22
BRUSSELS/LONDON, Feb 8
(Reuters) - The Belgian grand prix has been cancelled this year to allow the Spa
track to be improved, Formula One's ruling body said on Wednesday.
The race was scheduled for Sept. 17 but has been in doubt for several weeks
because of problems over who would promote it after the previous promoter went
bankrupt due to poor ticket sales.
"The Belgian National Sporting Authority, the RACB, has written to notify the
FIA of the withdrawal of the 2006 Belgian Grand Prix from the FIA Formula One
World Championship," the FIA, the sport's ruling body, said in a statement.
"The withdrawal has been made in order to allow the completion of extensive
improvement work to facilities at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit."
The FIA said it hoped the grand prix would be raced from 2007 onwards.
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone had been in negotiations with the
regional government of southern Wallonia about the race's future.
A spokesman for the Walloon government said they had been informed of the
decision by the FIA and will be releasing a formal statement on Wednesday.
"The news was expected, but it will give us time to organise something even
better in 2007," the spokesman said.
"We are continuing to analyse the situation."