Protest lodged over Nagoya consulate attack
Updated: 2005-11-22 21:07
China has lodged a protest with Japan over an incident last week in which a
self-proclaimed rightist sprayed a fire extinguisher at the Chinese Consulate in
Nagoya, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said Tuesday.
China demands a "severe punishment" for the man who sprayed the 10-storey
building in Nagoya's Naka Ward on Friday, Liu Jianchao said at a press briefing.
China also wants Japan to take more measures to protect Chinese institutions and
citizens in Japan, he said.
"We strongly denounce this act of destruction by a Japanese rightist," Liu
Measures to protect Chinese interests in Japan should "prevent this kind of
thing from happening again," he said.
The suspected sprayer, 24-year-old Yoichi Mishina of Gifu Prefecture,
allegedly said he belonged to a rightist group and wanted to express opposition
to the consulate, which was set up in October. No one was hurt in the attack.
The consulate in the Japanese industrial center is expected to facilitate
trade with China, particularly between Toyota Motor Corp.'s headquarters in
Aichi Prefecture and its partners in China. It also will look after 4,000
Chinese students in Nagoya.
Rightists have blared messages at the consulate from sound trucks on other