Buffon tops 2004 world goalkeeper rankings for 2nd year
Italy and Juventus goalkeeper Gianlugi Buffon has topped the world goalie standings of the year 2004 issued by the authoritative German-based International Federation for Football History and Statistics (IFFHS).
It's the second time for Buffon who was named the best goalie by the IFFHS with 185 points.
Czech and Chelsea keeper Petr Cech was a distant second with 125 points, followed by the AC Milan and Brazil goalie Dida with 78 points.
Buffon's national team reserve Francesco Toldo, playing for Inter Milan, was 16th in the 2004 standings with 13 points.
Following are the top ten goalkeepers in the IFFHS standings:
1. Gianluigi Buffon, Juventus/Italy, 185
2. Petr Cech, Chelsea/Czech Republic, 125
3. Dida, Milan/Brazil, 78
4. Iker Casillas, Real Madrid/Spain, 75
5. Andonios Nikopolidis, Olympiakos/Greece, 64
6. Oliver Kahn, Bayern Munich/Germany, 39
7. Roberto Carlos Abbondanzieri, Boca Juniors/Argentina, 31
8. Vitor Manuel Martins Baia, Porto/Portugal, 29
Juan Carlos Henao, Once Caldas/Colombia, 29
10. Jose Santiago Canizares, Valencia/Spain, 23