Home>News Center>China

Candle light causes fatal hostel disaster
Updated: 2004-12-08 12:14

An engineer with Liaoning Provincial Fire Fight Bureau Wednesday blames candle light to fatal hostel fire that claimed seven lives in Shenyang, the provincial capital of the northeastern province.

Xue Chunshan, a senior engineer with the bureau, said that around 1 a.m. Monday, a Xinfeng Hostel waitress returned to her dorm and happened to find the electric bulb in the room no longer useful. So she got a candle from a door keeper, lit it and let it lighting on while going out to wash her clothes. The unexpected fire ignited around 3 a.m. and lighted fabrics around in the dorm.

The waitress, together with her two awaken roommates got panic and escaped the scene.

In all, seven people lost their lives and another five got injured in the blaze of Xinfeng Hostel developed on a basement near the Shenyang Northern Railway Station.

Fire fighters rescued 20 other lodgers trapped underground in the fire, which was extinguished afterwards.

  Today's Top News     Top China News

Lenovo buys IBM's PC unit for $1.25 billion



Prices take largest jump since 1997



Testing upgraded for food safety



VW opens new auto venture with FAW



Views on filial piety see change



Death, 'rape' case of teacher in spotlight


  Prices take largest jump since 1997
  Premier stresses on Sino-EU partnership
  China, Italy pen IPR agreement
  Death, 'rape' case of teacher in spotlight
  Rapid air growth sounds alarm
  Animation centres to be created
  Go to Another Section  
  Story Tools  
  News Talk  
  It is time to prepare for Beijing - 2008