Village clash now under control, 7 dead
Clashes between villagers caused by a traffic dispute in Central China's Henan Province last week killed seven people. The situation is now under control, local officials said.
The clashes erupted on October 27 in Langchenggang, a town of Zhongmou County, southeast of the provincial capital city of Zhengzhou, sources with the city's Information Office said. At around 16:40, a villager by the name of Lu, of Nanren Village, drove into the way of another villager called Liu, of the neighboring Nanweitan Village. A verbal argument erupted while neither agreed to give way. The argument escalated into a fight between the two.
Later, Lu led a group of villagers to Liu's home, injured Liu and his family members. This set off a big confrontation between the two villages. The following day, a clash erupted between the villagers, causing one death on the scene and many injuries. Two others died in hospital on October 29.
Some 42 people were sent to the hospital for treatment. Sources from the hospital said that 19 of the injured have been discharged.
Local government called the police to calm the situation and arrested 18 suspects. Police said that a total of seven people were killed in the violence.
Provincial officials said that the situation is now under control.