Why Chinese women seek foreign husbands
The number of transnational marriages each year in Shenzhen has not changed significantly in the past few years.
The people who have married foreigners were mostly women above the age of 30. Most of them married Western men.
Long Yongkui, an editor with the Shenzhen Times weekly, gave eight reasons local women sought a mixed marriages.
1. Good men in Shenzhen were already married. The women's increasing age comes in to a problem limiting their choices.
2. Shenzhen men are prone to be easily tempted.
3. Local wonmen were not attractive enough to find a local man to marry.
4. Wanting to find men who would respect and live peacefully with them.
5. They assumed that life abroad was better and there was less pressure to find a job.
6. Wanting to study and start a business abroad.
7. Children would have a better future abroad.
8. Just loving to marry foreigners.
Some women sought to meet foreigners through Internet chatting, others met their future husbands while working in foreign-invested companies. Some also used matchmaking agencies, Long said.