65 children poisoned after school breakfast
A food poisoning struck down 65 children in Guangdong Province on Monday morning, leaving 10 in serious condition.
The 10 were still in hospital in Dianbai County Tuesday, receiving intravenous drip treatment.
All of them are now in stable condition and out of life-threatening danger, said a doctor from Dianbai County People's Hospital.
The 65 children were sent to hospitals for treatment at about noon on Monday after feeling headaches, cramps and vomiting following a breakfast in the school canteen at about 7 am.
They were taken to local clinics and hospitals and diagnosed with food poisoning. Most of them had to receive gastric lavage and intravenous drip treatment.
Apart from the 10 seriously ill, the rest were sent home, the doctor said.
"No deaths have, so far, been reported," the doctor added.
All the victims are aged between 13 and 17 years and are students at the county's Wangling Middle School which has 1,450 students.
The 10 seriously children were transferred to Dianbai County People's Hospital and Maoming Municipal People's Hospital.
Officials believe the food they ate was contaminated with some kind of rat poison.
An investigation is under way.