Home>News Center>Life

Serial killer breaks silence after 25 years
Updated: 2004-03-27 09:35

After 25 years of silence, police have apparently heard again from the BTK Strangler, a serial killer who terrorized the city during the 1970s.

The body of Shirley Vian is carried from her house in Wichita, Kan. in 1977. [file photo]
A letter sent last week to The Wichita Eagle contained information on a 1986 killing and included photos that appeared to be of the victim's body. Police are examining the letter for DNA and other evidence.

"The photographs appear to be authentic," said Lt. Ken Landwehr, who has been working the BTK case for 20 years. "I'm 100 percent sure it's BTK."

More than two decades ago, the BTK Strangler claimed responsibility for seven slayings between 1974 and 1979; six victims were strangled, one was stabbed to death. Four were members of one family two children and their parents.

In his letters claiming responsibility for the murders, the killer used the initials "BTK" to refer to "bind, torture and kill." The claims were sent to the Eagle and TV station KAKE, the last one in 1979.

On March 19, the Eagle received a letter that contained a photocopy of the driver's license of Vicki Wegerle, 28, who was strangled in her home in 1986. Three pictures showed the victim's body in various poses.

Until now, there was no suspicion that the slaying was the work of the BTK Strangler.

Wegerle's relatives said the driver's license was the only thing they know of that was missing from the home.

The letter was mailed in Wichita, Landwehr said Thursday. Since local TV stations aired reports on the letter Wednesday, more than 30 tips have been called in to police.

Landwehr said the new letter contained no suggestion that the killer planned to strike again.

Forensic specialists are re-examining evidence from the crime scene using technology that was not available in 1986. Police plan to run any evidence through national fingerprint and DNA databases and study other unsolved homicides for possible links.

Detectives also are looking through lists of inmates who have recently been released; they said the reason they have not heard from the BTK Strangler since 1979 could be that he was in prison.

"This is going to be homicide's top-priority case," Landwehr said.

The return address on the letter said it was from Bill Thomas Killman initials BTK. The address appeared to refer to a now-vacant building.

Norma Wegerle, a sister-in-law of the slain woman, said relatives often wondered whether the BTK killer could have been involved in the case.

She said that while the new development raised hopes that the case might be solved, she also was saddened by the reopening of old wounds.

"We just want it to be solved so we can get closure," she said.

  Today's Top News     Top Life News

Seven Diaoyu activists on way home



Beijing voices concern over unrest in Taiwan



Lenovo joins Olympic sponsors' club



NPC to explain Basic Law clauses



Boom of after-school education in China



Chinese workers win compensation suit


  Serial killer breaks silence after 25 years
  Daddy, why am I getting bills in the mail?
  FDA approves rapid saliva test for AIDS virus
  Government offers nation's youth assistance
  HK media scrutinizes malpractices
  Financial gap widening on campus
  Go to Another Section  
  Story Tools  
  HK pop star Edison Chen punched by youngsters