Home>News Center>Sports

Roddick wins opening match in Scottsdale
Updated: 2004-03-04 09:47

After took two days, two rain delays and a temper tantrum, Andy Roddick finally won his first match in the Franklin Templeton Tennis Classic.

The U.S. Open champion needed just two serves Wednesday to wrap up a 6-3, 7-5 victory over John Van Lottum in a match that started the night before but was suspended by rain.

When play was halted, Roddick led 6-3, 6-5 and was serving at 30-30.

"I wanted to make sure it was like that," Roddick said. "It was a very tricky situation. I wasn't up 30-love. If you double-fault, you're automatically down break point where you're fighting for your life. So it was definitely a different dynamic than I've ever been part of in a tennis match."

Trailing 2-0 in the second set Tuesday, Roddick was angered by a call by chair umpire Enric Molina. Roddick broke his racket and was penalized a point for delay of game.

Shortly after, the match was delayed 44 minutes by rain. Roddick said he got a chance to regain his composure.

Roddick's Davis Cup teammate, third-seeded Robby Ginepri, had to fight off two match points to beat Wesley Moodie 2-6, 7-6 (2), 6-4 and reach his first quarterfinal of the season.

Also Wednesday, fourth-seeded Vincent Spadea defeated Wayne Arthurs 6-3, 6-2, and Robin Soderling eliminated Xavier Malisse 6-3, 7-6 (3).

  Today's Top News     Top Sports News

Greenspan: Free floatation of the yuan could be risky



Political advisers pledge to better people's life



Jam-proof satellite going up next year



More and more women saying no to abusers



Bush, Kerry open battle for White House



NASA: Mars had enough water for life


  Guangdong snatches CBA title over Bayi
  South Korea still indefectible
  Yao Ming leads China's Olympic basketball squad
  Roddick wins opening match in Scottsdale
  China's women march on but who will join them?
  Zheng Jie topples Dokic to reach Qatar Open quarterfinals
  Go to Another Section  
  Story Tools