FM: Shooting at Chinese fishing boat "a severe incident"
( 2003-09-29 09:31) (Xinhua)
China lodged a representations to the Foreign Ministry of
Vietnam Sunday on the Chinese fishing boats being chased and shot by Vietnamese
ministry spokesman Kong Quan. [China
"Chasing after and shooting at fishing boats under normal operation should be
regarded as a severe incident," said a spokesperson from Foreign Ministry,
adding that the Vietnamese side should stop the action.
China made contacts with the Vietnamese side and lodged representations
shortly after being informed of the incident on Saturday.
At the same time, the Chinese Embassy to Vietnam also made representations to
the Vietnamese Foreign Ministry and requested that the Vietnamese side stop the
action mentioned above, according to the spokesperson.
So far one of the two Chinese boats involved in the incident has returned and
the other one is still missing and efforts to search for the missing one is
"We will continue to express our concern for the incident. At the same time,
we also request that the Vietnamese side provide cooperation in searching for
the missing boat, make explanations for the incident, earnestly take measures to
prevent the similar incidents from recurring and maintain the order of normal
fishing operation in the BeibuBay," said the