Hebei regulation cracks down on food waste
Hebei province rolled out a new regulation on Thursday promoting thrift and encouraging people to reduce food waste.
It is the nation's first local regulation on frugality since President Xi Jinping reiterated last month the need for greater awareness of the risks posed to the country's food security. He called for resolute efforts to promote thrift and combat waste.
The regulation was approved by the Standing Committee of the Hebei People's Congress, the province's top legislative body. It will take effect on Nov 1.
Although some measures have been taken in the past, wasting food is still common, driven by unhealthy customs such as showing off or competing with others for lavishness, said Guo Hong, deputy head of the Working Committee on Law of the Standing Committee of the Hebei People's Congress.
Guo said the regulation has 37 clauses stipulating what should be done by different groups, including government organs, restaurants, schools and the public.
For example, catering operators and restaurants should provide smaller portions to customers or make suggestions to help them order dishes of moderate amounts, the regulation said.
Restaurants should also provide packing services for customers after meals to allow them to take leftovers home.
People involved in making videos, broadcasting or livestreaming showing excessive eating and drinking on different platforms will be punished.
- Kunming Dry Port train further enhances regional connectivity
- 144 people listed as missing in Tai Po fire now confirmed safe: HKSAR gov't
- 150 still missing in Hong Kong residential complex fire
- No remains found after search of two fire-hit residential buildings: Hong Kong police
- Funds raised and government grants to fire in Tai Po reach 1.1 bln HKD: HKSAR gov't
- Teochew International Convention opens in Guangdong's Chaozhou































