Global EditionASIA 中文双语Français
China
Home / China / Society

Govt confirms 440 cases of virus as death toll rises to nine

By Wang Xiaoyu | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2020-01-22 10:22
Chinese health authorities hold a news conference, Jan 22, 2020. [Photo by Wang Zhuangfei/chinadaily.com.cn]

Chinese mainland confirmed 440 cases of pneumonia caused by a new coronavirus by Tuesday midnight, affecting 13 provinces, with the death toll rising to nine, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday morning.

Overseas, five cases have been reported -- three in Thailand and one each in South Korea and Japan.

The number of confirmed cases in Chinese mainland rose from 291 reported earlier on Tuesday by the commission.

Three new deaths, all occurring in Hubei province, were reported on Tuesday. The outbreak first emerged in Hubei's Wuhan city in late December.

Authorities have traced 2,197 people who have had close contacts with the infected patients, and 765 of them have been moved out of quarantine.

Li Bin, deputy director of the commission, said there have been instances of human-to-human transmission and infections among medical workers. Some transmission across neighborhoods has also been reported.

"The virus is likely to mutate and the risk of further spread of the disease remains," he said.

Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US