Global EditionASIA 中文双语Français
World
Home / World / Asia-Pacific

Police reveal 10 victims' names in Kyoto arson attack in Japan

Xinhua | Updated: 2019-08-02 21:25
People pray for the victims near the Kyoto Animation studio after Thursday's arson attack, which left more than 30 employees dead. KYODO NEWS/GETTY IMAGES

TOKYO -- Police on Friday announced some of the names of the victims in last month's arson attack at a Kyoto Animation Co. studio, including famous directors and a veteran animator.

After obtaining consent from the victims' families, the police announced 10 victims' names, including Yasuhiro Takemoto, 47, who was a widely praised director.

They also included 37-year-old Futoshi Nishiya, an animation director and 61-year-old animator Yoshiji Kigami.

The police said they waited for their families to come to terms with their deaths and arrange their funerals, before deciding upon the timing and ways of disclosing the identities of the victims.

The remaining seven whose names were announced are Junichi Uda, 34, Yuki Omura, 23, Yuka Kasama, 22, Ami Kuriki, 30, Sachie Tsuda, 41, Keisuke Yokota, 34, and Mikiko Watanabe, 35.

According to the police, all 35 victims have been identified using DNA analysis.

The police said they will continue to seek approval from the remaining victims' families to release their names.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US