Global EditionASIA 中文双语Français
World
Home / World / Asia-Pacific

Death toll from Kyoto anime studio arson rises to 35

Xinhua | Updated: 2019-07-28 00:38
People pray for the victims near the Kyoto Animation studio after Thursday's arson attack, which left more than 30 employees dead. KYODO NEWS/GETTY IMAGES

TOKYO -- The death toll from the arson attack on a Kyoto Animation Co. studio last week had risen to 35 as a male victim died at a hospital on Saturday, the police said.

The police have not released the identities of the victims, while some of the injured in the incident are still hospitalized.

Shinji Aoba, who is suspected of entering Kyoto Animation on July 18 and setting fire with gasoline, suffered from severe burns and is still in serious condition.

Although the police have not questioned Aoba yet, investigators searched his home in Saitama near Tokyo on Friday, trying to figure out a motive.

Some evidence has been confiscated, including products of Kyoto Animation, according to investigators.

Some investigators told local media that the studio received repeated email threats, some addressed to specific employees, from the same Internet address between last September and November.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US