USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
World
Home / World / Africa

Zambia refutes report of Chinese firms taking over public assets due to debt

Xinhua | Updated: 2018-09-09 19:19

LUSAKA -- The Zambian Government on Saturday refuted a media report that it was in talks with Chinese companies for the latter to take over public institutions due to debt.

Chief government spokesperson Dora Siliya tweeted a denial of the report that said the government was seeking to sell some public assets, pointing out that some of the China-funded projects had not even been completed.

"Govt's position is that all stories relating to sale or takeover of public assets such (as) ZNBC (state broadcaster), Kenneth Kaunda International Airport, and ZESCO (power utility) by China are false," she said on Twitter.

"ZNBC digital migration and KK AIRPORT projects not even complete yet. How then can one refer to loan default in view of grace periods?" she asked.

Last week, the African Confidential fortnightly reported that talks were underway for a Chinese firm to take over Zambia's power utility due to debt.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US