Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said here Tuesday all Beijing residents
who have moved house because of Olympic site construction have been supported in
their change of residence and none of them had been forced to move out of the
Jiang made the remarks in reply to a report released by a Geneva-based center
on Housing Rights and Evictions that said some 1.5 million people will have been
displaced by the time the Beijing Games are held in 2008.
"The report is sheer groundless," Jiang told a regular press conference.
Nine major venues are being built for the Beijing Olympic Games and this has
involved the resettlement of 6,037 households since 2002, Jiang said.
All of them received monetary compensation and resettlement support, and no
household was forced to move out of Beijing, Jiang added.